Shakira to Perform at 'Youthful' Closing Ceremony of World Cup
It's official, Shakira is going to rock South Africa during the live telecast of 2010 FIFA World Cup closing ceremony. Set to take place at Soccer City on July 11, the gig is promised to be "more youthful and a bit more technologically advanced" compared to the more traditionally opening ceremony.
Derek Carstens, chief marketing officer for the organizing committee, said, "While the opening ceremony was more traditional in its approach, in order to do justice to Africa's heritage, the closing ceremony will have more contemporary and youthful themes." Spokesman Jermaine Craig added that the Sunday event will have "nice lighting effects and special effects planned."
The concert is scheduled to start at 6:30 P.M. local time, two hours before the final match, Netherlands vs. Spain, kicks off. Shakira is billed to entertain the soccer mania with "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", the official anthem of the championship. She previously also performed the track in a star-studded World Cup concert in Soweto last month.
For this upcoming gig, Shakira gets help from Roberto Cavalli to design her outfit. She will wear a belly-baring tulle top embroidered with multicolor pearls, and a silk fringed skirt - complete with a floral motif and animalier print. She will finish off her look with a denim belt embroidered with African style pearls and leather bracelets with floral silk applique.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic