Shakira to Perform at 'Youthful' Closing Ceremony of World Cup
It's official, Shakira is going to rock South Africa during the live telecast of 2010 FIFA World Cup closing ceremony. Set to take place at Soccer City on July 11, the gig is promised to be "more youthful and a bit more technologically advanced" compared to the more traditionally opening ceremony.
Derek Carstens, chief marketing officer for the organizing committee, said, "While the opening ceremony was more traditional in its approach, in order to do justice to Africa's heritage, the closing ceremony will have more contemporary and youthful themes." Spokesman Jermaine Craig added that the Sunday event will have "nice lighting effects and special effects planned."
The concert is scheduled to start at 6:30 P.M. local time, two hours before the final match, Netherlands vs. Spain, kicks off. Shakira is billed to entertain the soccer mania with "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", the official anthem of the championship. She previously also performed the track in a star-studded World Cup concert in Soweto last month.
For this upcoming gig, Shakira gets help from Roberto Cavalli to design her outfit. She will wear a belly-baring tulle top embroidered with multicolor pearls, and a silk fringed skirt - complete with a floral motif and animalier print. She will finish off her look with a denim belt embroidered with African style pearls and leather bracelets with floral silk applique.
More Shakira News
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season