It's Official, Andrew Garfield Is Peter Parker in 'Spider-Man' Reboot
The speculation is over. After a long report surrounding who will play Peter Parker in untitled Spider-Man reboot, Columbia Pictures has finally set things straight by announcing that they have cast Andrew Garfield for the lead role.
"Though his name may be new to many, those who know this young actor's work understand his extraordinary talents. He has a rare combination of intelligence, wit, and humanity," director Marc Webb says in the press release. "Mark my words, you will love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker."
Producer Avi Arad adds that Garfield is "the perfect choice" to play "a smart, sensitive, and cool new Peter Parker who can inspire us and make us laugh, cry, and cheer". Meanwhile, producer Laura Ziskin praises the 26-year-old for "being an extraordinary actor" and having "the right mix of humor, youth, and pathos, along with an underlying sense of strength and power necessary to bring Peter Parker and Spider-Man to life on screen."
Garfield's casting has ended the chance for other actors who reportedly circled the part. Those who were previously said among the contenders included Josh Hutcherson, Logan Lerman, Aaron Johnson and Jamie Bell.
Serving as the reboot for the franchise, the Marc Webb-directed "Spider-Man" film will follow Peter Parker aka Spider-Man, during his high school age. Garfield will begin preparing for the role immediately and shooting is expected to start later this year for June 3, 2011 U.S. release. James Vanderbilt is penning the script.
Andrew Garfield stars in "Lions for Lambs" before playing alongside Johnny Depp and Heath Ledger in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". He next can be seen in drama "The Social Network" in which he stars opposite Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake.
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic
- Move Out Rihanna! Drake Wakes Up Next to 'the Most Beautiful Woman' After His Birthday Party
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake