'Twilight Saga's Eclipse' Sets New Midnight Box Office Record
Since "The Twilight Saga's Eclipse" is touted one of the most anticipated summer movies, it comes as no surprise that the flick becomes a box office hit. Unleashed in the U.S. on June 30, the movie already takes in more than $30 million from midnight screenings.
Thus, this third "Twilight" movie officially sets new record for midnight gross, beating out previous midnight record-holder "The Twilight Saga's New Moon" which opened to $26.3 million in November 2009. Now, the challenge for "Eclipse" is to break "New Moon" record for the biggest single-day gross in box office history with $72.7 million.
The movie will continue to expand to 4,416 domestic theaters in North America, which marks the widest domestic release in history. Over this Fourth of July weekend, it is also expected that "Eclipse" could pass the $200 million opening box office record set by "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".
In related news, Summit has confirmed to MTV Hollywood Crush that "Eclipse" stars will make surprise appearances at the film screenings in many locations around the country. While the exact locations and the actors who will pop up have not been revealed, it is known that this fans treat will happen during this coming weekend.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences