'Twilight Saga's Eclipse' Sets New Midnight Box Office Record
Since "The Twilight Saga's Eclipse" is touted one of the most anticipated summer movies, it comes as no surprise that the flick becomes a box office hit. Unleashed in the U.S. on June 30, the movie already takes in more than $30 million from midnight screenings.
Thus, this third "Twilight" movie officially sets new record for midnight gross, beating out previous midnight record-holder "The Twilight Saga's New Moon" which opened to $26.3 million in November 2009. Now, the challenge for "Eclipse" is to break "New Moon" record for the biggest single-day gross in box office history with $72.7 million.
The movie will continue to expand to 4,416 domestic theaters in North America, which marks the widest domestic release in history. Over this Fourth of July weekend, it is also expected that "Eclipse" could pass the $200 million opening box office record set by "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".
In related news, Summit has confirmed to MTV Hollywood Crush that "Eclipse" stars will make surprise appearances at the film screenings in many locations around the country. While the exact locations and the actors who will pop up have not been revealed, it is known that this fans treat will happen during this coming weekend.
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'
- Spider-Man May Leave Marvel Cinematic Universe After 'Spiderman: Homecoming' Sequel
- Harry Styles to Make Debut as Solo Artist on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman Reunite for NBC's Competition Series 'Handmade Project'
- Mila Kunis Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body, 4 Months After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri