Andy Serkis Cast as Smart Chimp in 'Rise of the Apes'
Andy Serkis will literally lead "Rise of the Apes". The British actor has been tapped to play Caesar, the intelligent chimpanzee that will provoke the revolt against human. Breaking the news is Chris Petrikin, Fox's VP of Corporate Communications, who tweets, "This is cool: Gollum reteams with Weta. Andy Serkis to star as Caesar in 'Rise of the Apes,' portraying chimp who leads the simian revolt."
As it has been mentioned before, Serkis' character as well as other apes in the movie will be rendered by WETA. Meanwhile, James Franco has been earlier announced to portray a scientist "who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes." John Lithgow and Freida Pinto have also been cast as Franco's Alzheimer's-stricken father and primatologist Caroline respectively.
Serving as a prequel to "Planet of the Apes", "Rise of the Apes" will be set in contemporary San Francisco, where a genetic engineering experiment leads to the creation of intelligence in apes, causing an inevitable conflict between species. This action sci-fi has tapped Rupert Wyatt on the directing seat with plan to start shooting on July 5 in British Columbia. June 24, 2011 is locked as the U.S. release date for the movie.
Andy Serkis is best known for his portrayal of Gollum in "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. He later starred in "Longford" and "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll", for which he got BAFTA nominations. The 46-year-old actor is additionally set to appear in 2011 comedy, "Burke and Hare".
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame
- Blac Chyna Plans Plastic Surgery Makeover to Match Her Post-Baby Body
- Melania Trump 'Fixes' Her Hair as Donald Trump Tries to Hold Her Hand
- Bella Hadid Enjoys Dinner Date With Mystery Hunk in Rome and Leaves With Bouquet of Roses
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Are Denied Access to Party in France
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Having a Baby to Save 'Stormy' Marriage