Andy Serkis Cast as Smart Chimp in 'Rise of the Apes'
Andy Serkis will literally lead "Rise of the Apes". The British actor has been tapped to play Caesar, the intelligent chimpanzee that will provoke the revolt against human. Breaking the news is Chris Petrikin, Fox's VP of Corporate Communications, who tweets, "This is cool: Gollum reteams with Weta. Andy Serkis to star as Caesar in 'Rise of the Apes,' portraying chimp who leads the simian revolt."
As it has been mentioned before, Serkis' character as well as other apes in the movie will be rendered by WETA. Meanwhile, James Franco has been earlier announced to portray a scientist "who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes." John Lithgow and Freida Pinto have also been cast as Franco's Alzheimer's-stricken father and primatologist Caroline respectively.
Serving as a prequel to "Planet of the Apes", "Rise of the Apes" will be set in contemporary San Francisco, where a genetic engineering experiment leads to the creation of intelligence in apes, causing an inevitable conflict between species. This action sci-fi has tapped Rupert Wyatt on the directing seat with plan to start shooting on July 5 in British Columbia. June 24, 2011 is locked as the U.S. release date for the movie.
Andy Serkis is best known for his portrayal of Gollum in "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. He later starred in "Longford" and "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll", for which he got BAFTA nominations. The 46-year-old actor is additionally set to appear in 2011 comedy, "Burke and Hare".
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son