'Toy Story 3' Still Leads Box Office, Finds Its Competitor in 'Grown Ups'
"Toy Story 3" has maintained its crown at North American Box Office. After collecting $110.3 million in its opening week, the Pixar's animation adds $59.3 million to its domestic cume, making a total of $226.9 million in just ten days.
"It's so gratifying to see this come full circle," Disney distribution chief Chuck Viane says as quoted by USA Today about the final chapter of the trilogy. "For every installment, the storytelling quality was there, and it's great to see people responding to it - especially considering the competition we had."
Newcomers "Grown Ups" and "Knight & Day" follow on the second and third spots respectively. While the Adam Sandler-starring film manages to give a slight threat to the champion with $40.5 million revenue, the action comedy led by Tom Cruise does not join the race as it rakes in $20.1 million, far less than his last movie "Valkyrie" which opened with $83 million.
According to box-office analyst for Hollywood.com Paul Dergarabedian, the poor reception of "Knight & Day" could mean audience still has not forgiven Cruise for his erratic behavior a few years back, which included his couch-jumping incident on "The Oprah Winfrey Show". "He's one of the biggest stars of all time, but no question, this has impacted him. It's not like it's irrevocable or unchangeable," Dergarabedian says. "Many stars do recover. It just may take a lot of time for him."
On the fourth spot at the chart there is "The Karate Kid" which pulls in $15.5 million from domestic ticket sales this weekend. "The A-Team" is still one position behind the action drama starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith as the star-studded action comedy is on the fifth place with $6.2 million revenue.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 25-27:
- "Toy Story 3" - $59.3 million
- "Grown Ups" - $40.5 million
- "Knight & Day" - $20.1 million
- "The Karate Kid" - $15.5 million
- "The A-Team" - $6.2 million
- "Get Him to the Greek" - $3.1 million
- "Shrek Forever After" - $3.1 million
- "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" - $2.8 million
- "Killers" - $1.9 million
- "Jonah Hex" - $1.6 million
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Are Ready to Start Co-Parenting Their 6 Kids
- Watch Lana Del Rey Get Cozy With The Weeknd in 'Lust for Life' Video
- Kylie Jenner Is 'Annoyed' That Ariel Winter Keeps Stealing Her Look
- Kris Jenner Wants Her Marriage With Caitlyn to Be Annulled
- The Chainsmokers Hints at Collaboration with BTS
- Super Junior Shows Off Strong Bond After Recent Meet-Up
- Burglar Hits Michael B. Jordan's Home, Walks Off With Cash and Jewelry
- Report: Katy Perry Is Dating Takeoff of Migos