2010 BET Awards: Alicia Keys, Nicki Minaj, Drake and Jay-Z Are Early Winners
Live from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on June 27, a star-studded gala is held to announce winners of this year's BET Awards. Alicia Keys wins the first award Best Female R&B Artist over Beyonce Knowles, Mary J. Blige, Melanie Fiona and Rihanna.
Nicki Minaj is the next musician who gets onto the stage to collect a prize. She is named Best Female Hip-Hop Artist, beating Ester Dean, Lil' Kim, Rasheeda and Trina. During her acceptance speech, she noted that the trophy she received was not just for her, but for all the women.
"Thank you to all the women rappers that paved the way for me," so said Minaj. She apparently responded to Lil' Kim who said about Minaj earlier this month, "We just want her to pay homage so we can all rock together. -- That's all It's all about respect. You respect me, I respect you. If you don't respect me then f**k you."
Following the victory of his Young Money labelmate, Drake grabs Best Male Hip-Hop Artist. The Canadian rapper pushes aside B.o.B, Fabolous, Jay-Z and Ludacris, but he fails to win in the next category. His Trey Songz-assisted single "Successful" and star-studded track "Forever" lose to "Empire State of Mind" which features Alicia Keys.
Nicki Minaj accepts Best Female Hip-Hop Artist:
More Alicia Keys News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media