2010 BET Awards: Alicia Keys, Nicki Minaj, Drake and Jay-Z Are Early Winners
Live from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on June 27, a star-studded gala is held to announce winners of this year's BET Awards. Alicia Keys wins the first award Best Female R&B Artist over Beyonce Knowles, Mary J. Blige, Melanie Fiona and Rihanna.
Nicki Minaj is the next musician who gets onto the stage to collect a prize. She is named Best Female Hip-Hop Artist, beating Ester Dean, Lil' Kim, Rasheeda and Trina. During her acceptance speech, she noted that the trophy she received was not just for her, but for all the women.
"Thank you to all the women rappers that paved the way for me," so said Minaj. She apparently responded to Lil' Kim who said about Minaj earlier this month, "We just want her to pay homage so we can all rock together. -- That's all It's all about respect. You respect me, I respect you. If you don't respect me then f**k you."
Following the victory of his Young Money labelmate, Drake grabs Best Male Hip-Hop Artist. The Canadian rapper pushes aside B.o.B, Fabolous, Jay-Z and Ludacris, but he fails to win in the next category. His Trey Songz-assisted single "Successful" and star-studded track "Forever" lose to "Empire State of Mind" which features Alicia Keys.
Nicki Minaj accepts Best Female Hip-Hop Artist:
More Alicia Keys News
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'