2010 BET Awards: Alicia Keys, Nicki Minaj, Drake and Jay-Z Are Early Winners
Live from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on June 27, a star-studded gala is held to announce winners of this year's BET Awards. Alicia Keys wins the first award Best Female R&B Artist over Beyonce Knowles, Mary J. Blige, Melanie Fiona and Rihanna.
Nicki Minaj is the next musician who gets onto the stage to collect a prize. She is named Best Female Hip-Hop Artist, beating Ester Dean, Lil' Kim, Rasheeda and Trina. During her acceptance speech, she noted that the trophy she received was not just for her, but for all the women.
"Thank you to all the women rappers that paved the way for me," so said Minaj. She apparently responded to Lil' Kim who said about Minaj earlier this month, "We just want her to pay homage so we can all rock together. -- That's all It's all about respect. You respect me, I respect you. If you don't respect me then f**k you."
Following the victory of his Young Money labelmate, Drake grabs Best Male Hip-Hop Artist. The Canadian rapper pushes aside B.o.B, Fabolous, Jay-Z and Ludacris, but he fails to win in the next category. His Trey Songz-assisted single "Successful" and star-studded track "Forever" lose to "Empire State of Mind" which features Alicia Keys.
Nicki Minaj accepts Best Female Hip-Hop Artist:
- Jamie Foxx Awkwardly Responds to Katie Holmes Dating Reports
- 'Marvel's Ant-Man' Animated Shorts Coming to Disney XD
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Reunite for Friend's Birthday Party at Disneyland
- Migos 'Weren't Comfortable' Performing With Drag Queens During Katy Perry's Performance on 'SNL'
- Tired-Looking Pippa Middleton and James Matthews Spotted at LAX. Heading for Honeymoon?
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Boobs in Nothing But Rope - See the Revealing Pics
- 'Preacher' Season 2 Unveils Featurette and Fiery Character Posters
- Angelina Jolie Doesn't Want Brad Pitt to Date Other Women