Neill Blomkamp Not Offered 'The Hobbit', Brett Ratner Closer to the Role
Neill Blomkamp did not even have a chance to direct "The Hobbit". The 30-year-old filmmaker, who reportedly could be replacing Guillermo Del Toro as the helmer for the movie, apparently was never offered the job.
An insider at Blomkamp's agency, William Morris Endeavor, confirms to Vulture that the "District 9" helmer is not doing the upcoming adventure movie. Additionally, Endeavor claims "no one from MGM/United Artists or Warner Bros. has even contacted them about his directing the film."
Following the denial from Blomkamp's party, Cinema Blend reports that Brett Ratner is now closer than ever to the directing seat of the movie. However, the site has misinterpreted Vulture's article and reported that Blomkamp "turns down" "The Hobbit", so it is not known whether their report about Ratner is reliable or not.
Blomkamp is currently working on "Elysium", a sci-fi movie project which storyline has been kept under wraps. Ratner, in the meantime, is attached to serve behind the lens for "The Brothers Grimm: Snow White".
"The Hobbit", which will be split into two parts, has the script written by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh with Guillermo Del Toro helping them. It will re-create the scenes of the novel, with additional events that make an impact to "The Lords of the Rings", such as the expulsion of Sauron from Mirkwood by The White Council.
- Suspect in Ariana Grande Concert Bombing Identified, His Brother Arrested by Police
- Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel Reunite to Cover Classic 'High School Musical' Song
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown