'Toy Story 3' Sets Record With Strong Debut at Box Office, Outsells 'Jonah Hex'
It seems that the long wait did not make fans less excited with "Toy Story 3". Released more than ten years after 1999 "Toy Story 2", the third film has proven to be attractive to moviegoers as it debuts atop the North American Box Office with $110.3 million cume.
The new family movie, thus, makes the best debut for film from Disney's Pixar Animation so far, topping 2004 "The Incredibles" which obtained $70.5 million in its first week. Moreover, the film which reunites voice stars such as Tom Hanks and Tim Allen becomes the third animated flick to gross more than $100 million on the first weekend, joining "Shrek the Third" at $121.6 million and "Shrek 2" at $108 million.
"The audience was much broader than normal," Chuck Viane, the president for distribution at Walt Disney Studios, gushes on the success of this third "Toy Story" movie. "It's been a long time since I've seen a movie with such unbelievably positive word of mouth."
In contrary to the good performance from "Toy Story 3", another newcomer "Jonah Hex" fails to make great impression on its debut weekend. Supported with some top-notch actors such as Josh Brolin and Megan Fox, the movie adaptation of comic books with the same title only bows at eighth with an estimated $5.4 million.
Meanwhile, the coming of new champ forces "The Karate Kid" to drop to second place with an additional $29.9 million revenue. The drama action is followed by "The A-Team", "Get Him to the Greek" and "Shrek Forever After" which collect $14.4 million, $6.1 million and $5.6 million respectively.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 18-20:
- "Toy Story 3" - $110.3 million
- "The Karate Kid" - $29.9 million
- "The A-Team" - $14.4 million
- "Get Him to the Greek" - $6.1 million
- "Shrek Forever After" - $5.6 million
- "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" - $5.6 million
- "Jonah Hex" - $5.4 million
- "Killers" - $5 million
- "Iron Man 2" - $2.9 million
- "Marmaduke" - $2.5 million
More Toy Story 3 News
- Michelle Rodriguez Threatens to Quit 'Fast and Furious' Franchise Over Its Depiction of Women
- Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Are Reportedly Getting Engaged Soon
- Missing the Kids, Brad Pitt Urges Angelina Jolie to Have Family Reunion
- Watch Nick Jonas' Calvin Klein-Esque Video for 'Remember I Told You' Ft. Anne-Marie and Mike Posner
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Rachel Ends Lee-Kenny Feud, Sends Home Six Guys
- Report: Rob Kardashian Says He Pays All of Blac Chyna's Bills
- 'America's Got Talent' Week 5: Guy Sings Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing' Like It's Nothing
- Remy Ma Totally Expects Nicki Minaj's Diss at NBA Awards