Weezer Give Away New World Cup-Inspired Song 'Represent'
In support of U.S. soccer team in 2010 World Cup, Rivers Cuomo who is an avid fan of soccer has led Weezer to record a song called "Represent". The track is made available for free download on iTunes for one week beginning at midnight on Friday, June 11.
"And that is how you play the game / and that is if you can take the pain," the vocalist sings on the chorus. "But that's just one more reason to see that it matters / whether you win or lose."
The U.S. soccer team will face off England in the World Cup for the first time since 1950 on June 12. Weezer will be cheering the team at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, where they will be headlining over the weekend.
"They are actually playing the game on a big screen at the festival," Rivers said as quoted by MLSsoccer. "So if you can believe it, I'll be sitting in front of that big screen with all the other concert-goers, watching the game. As soon as we realized we were going to confirm that show, we asked the promoter if they were going to be showing the game. They're actually making a big deal out of it."
This is not the first time Rivers Cuomo who befriends soccer player Landon Donovan recorded an ode for the U.S. soccer team. Back in 2006, he crafted a song which was originally called "Our Time Will Come" and then retitled "My Day Is Coming".
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'