Artist of the Week: Lee DeWyze
From zero to hero, Lee DeWyze has now become the champion of "American Idol" season 9, winning a record deal with 19 Entertainment which signed him with RCA Records. This means the 24-year-old singer/songwriter doesn't have to fund his own album like he previously did. He is also surely to gain access in getting some acclaimed music makers help him in his first major-label album.
Noting that he still has a lot to prove, Lee who once worked as a paint salesman says he is ready to make a record that he can be proud of. "I think that's another misconception about 'American Idol,' is that once you go on there, you're forced to do this or forced to wear that ... we're not. We get a lot of freedom and a lot of say," he told MTV.
He explained more, "I'm sure there's going to be elements of pop somewhere in there, there always is, and elements of rock and a folky feel. I'm not trying to go out there and do something that's never been done. It's all been done ... and I think now, it's more or less an opportunity for people to show who they are through their music."
His first single which hit iTunes is a cover version of U2's "Beautiful Day". This is the first time an "Idol" winner has to cover other artists' song as a winning single. So, when the revamped song sold around 100,000 copies and couldn't crack the Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100, Lee said, "You can't complain about that, regardless of what it is."
"This is the first season that we did a cover song for the finale, and that's obviously different from past seasons, whatever part that has to do with it. ... There [were] things presented, and, you know, that was the right song for the moment, I felt. And I'm glad I did it."
Lee DeWyze will hit the road with the other Top 10 of "American Idol" starting July 1. Most recently, he performed the National Anthem at the Los Angeles' Staples Center before NBA Finals between Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story