'Shrek 4' Tops 'SATC 2' and 'Prince of Persia' at Memorial Weekend Box Office
After having a disappointing opening weekend, "Shrek Forever After" proves it still has power to rule over other movies. During Memorial weekend, the DreamWorks' animation wins at North American Box Office and only suffers 38.7% decline in ticket sales with $43.4 million gross.
Though so, this fourth "Shrek" film which currently holds a total of $133.2 million tally still cannot surpass the 10-day haul of $203 million for "Shrek the Third". The studio even admits it is too early to tell if the new film could catch up.
Coming second and third respectively at the domestic chart are newcomers "Sex and the City 2" and "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time". The film that offers a look at the glamorous life of Carrie Bradshaw and her friends pulls in $31.1 million haul while the movie adaptation of the video game rakes in $30.1 million revenue.
Still, Walt Disney Pictures will not be too much disappointed by "Prince of Persia" since it attracts moviegoers from all over the world. This Jerry Bruckheimer-produced film takes the no. 1 spot on the foreign-theatrical circuit with $59 million from 7,100 screens in 47 territories.
"Sex and the City 2" comes second on the foreign circuit with $27.6 million from 3,700 screens in 17 markets. "Shrek Forever After", meanwhile, loses its roar at international markets as it lands on the third position with $18.5 million from 1,685 venues in 15 territories.
Back at local Box Office, the fourth and fifth positions belong to "Iron Man 2" and "Robin Hood" respectively. The Robert Downey Jr.-starring film adds $16.3 million to its domestic cume, while the epic adventure movie pulls in $10.3 million on its third weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 28 -30:
- "Shrek Forever After" - $43.4 million
- "Sex and the City 2" - $31.1 million
- "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" - $30.1 million
- "Iron Man 2" - $16.3 million
- "Robin Hood" - $10.3 million
- "Letters to Juliet" - $5.9 million
- "Just Wright" - $2.2 million
- "Date Night" - $1.8 million
- "MacGruber" - $1.6 million
- "How to Train Your Dragon" - $1.1 million
More Shrek Forever After News
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding