'The Hobbit' Hasn't Got Green Light
"The Hobbit" will not be filmed any time soon. In contrary to previous reports which mention that the movie will commence production in November, Guillermo del Toro has just stated at a press conference for his latest production "Splice" that the upcoming adventure movie has not got a green light.
"It's not greenlit," helmer of "The Hobbit" admits. "That's categorical... We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation... There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."
About speculation whether or not the film will be shot in 3-D, del Toro says it has been discussed "literally once" in the production offices but it is not being planned at this time. While he claims there is still possibility to shoot "The Hobbit" in 3-D, current budget is set without 3-D in mind.
Though the production will not come in foreseeable future, filmmakers have had enough preparations. "We have designed all the creatures," del Toro reveals. "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."
"The Hobbit" will re-create the scenes of the novel, with additional events that make an impact to "The Lords of the Rings", such as the expulsion of Sauron from Mirkwood by The White Council. It will be split into two parts, with the first movie slated to arrive in December 2012 while "The Hobbit 2" will come out a year later.
Ian McKellen has been confirmed to reprise his "LOTR" role as Gandalf, but the cast for major character Bilbo Baggins has not been announced yet. Peter Jackson who directed "LOTR" trilogy will serve as producer and writer for "The Hobbit".
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival