Ashlee Simpson Almost Portrayed Elena on 'Vampire Diaries'
Twenty two episodes after, it has just been revealed that Nina Dobrev wasn't The CW's first choice to lead "The Vampire Diaries". The network initially wanted Ashlee Simpson to take the role of Elena/Katherine but the producers thought they should look further.
"We all independently looked at a bunch of [audition] DVDs," co-executive producer and director Marcos Siega said at a recent Screen Actors Guild event for TVD. "We couldn't find the girl we wanted. The network wanted us to hire Ashlee Simpson. ...But Nina sent this DVD back and we all were home looking, searching, and we came in the next day saying, 'We should look at Nina again.' We showed it to Peter Roth, and Peter only saw her on that tape and he said, 'That's her'."
Ashlee eventually took a role on "Melrose Place" which is now axed due to low rating. Nina meanwhile shared her side of story to E! Online, saying "Half of Hollywood I think went out for the role, for all our roles. I guess I did something right, here I am. We had to discover and find our characters. Every episode we learned something more and something more, and eventually we created and molded these amazing, awesome characters."
In fact, Paul Wesley was not always Stefan. Many times he would audition for the role of Damon before Ian Somerhalder snatched it. However, Ian previously said that he didn't get the role straight away because the producers did not think he portrayed Damon the right way the first time.
"The Vampire Diaries" went through a successful season 1 and has been renewed for another season this Fall. "Typically the second season of every show is generally its best year so I think we need to make it an unbelievable year of television," Ian said. Nina confirmed that the season will start right where they left it off.
More The Vampire Diaries News
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- Rihanna, Beyonce and More Thank Barack and Michelle Obama With Adorable Posts
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day