Lee DeWyze Wins 'American Idol' Season 9
"American Idol" has crowned its season 9 winner and for the third time in a row, it's a man's world. Lee DeWyze received the highest vote in the final, beating Crystal Bowersox although his performance night was not as lovable to the judge as Crystal's. Crystal cried but she looked genuinely happy for Lee and hugged him.
The finale of "American Idol" was as much a lovefest for Simon Cowell as the revelation of the ninth season winner. It was opened with the Top 12 performance singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out!" and the artist himself came out on stage to join the lots. Then last season's winner Kris Allen took the stage solo, singing his new single "The Truth".
There was a brief of Simon tribute from Paula Abdul, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi before Siobhan Magnus and Aaron Kelly teamed up with the Bee Gees to sing "How Deep Is Your Love". Michael Lynche took over the stage with The Doobie Brothers' "Takin' It To The Streets" and like the rest of the performances, the real artist came out. Representing the '70s band is Michael McDonald.
Dane Cook brought the laughter when he sang a song comprised of Simon's insults. The judge gave a smile upon the tribute which includes the line "You came across like a background singer for a background singer." It was then followed by a montage of the "Idol" rejectee such as Normund Gentle, Tatiana del Toro and Ian Benardo.
The Top 6 girls, led by Crystal, sang Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" and "Fighter". Christina then appeared in person to join the girls. A brief tribute for Simon from Ricky Gervais via satellite was followed by Lee and Andrew Garcia singing "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)". Casey James, Tim Urban, Big Mike and Aaron joined the two in singing "Maneater".
The spotlight was given to Crystal who then proceeded with a duet with Alanis Morissette on "You Oughta Know". Carrie Underwood performed her new hit "Undo It!" which was co-written by Kara. Casey once again ascended the stage to join Bret Michaels on "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Lee then made a duet with Chicago.
A few fillers of the night include Pants on the Ground, William Hung and Paula again. Then the previous winners of the competition, Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Carrie, Jordin Sparks, Taylor Hicks, Kris all serenaded Simon. David Cook was unable to attend. Janet Jackson also was a performer of the night.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?