Comedy Central's Jesus Christ Series Meets Threat From Christian Group
Jesus Christ has made a guest starring appearance in "South Park" but he's about to be given his own series. Comedy Central is thinking of having a cartoon series about the Christian leader and announced on Thursday, May 6 that it's indeed in the works under the title "JC". Already, the Catholic League issued a protest against the development.
The extremist group's president Bill Donohue encouraged people to take real action and posted Comedy Central's CEO's address on its website. He also said that Jesus is not only praised by Christians but also the Muslims, revealing "We will not only contact the Catholic community, we will contact Muslim organizations as well."
Donohue included a quote by Kent Alterman, a network official, who said, "In general, comedy in its purest form always makes some people uncomfortable." Donohue disagreed, saying "Besides the fact that there is no end to the number of comedians who have made a huge name for themselves without ever offending anyone, what is even more relevant is the fact that Comedy Central has absolutely no interest in making Muslims feel uncomfortable."
As one of the 23 newbies the channel is considering for the new season, "JC" will depict Jesus as a regular guy who moves to New York to "escape his father's enormous shadow." His father would be depicted as a man who would rather play video games than listening to his son.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones