Robert Downey Jr. May Team Up With Sam Mendes in 'Wizard of Oz' Prequel
"Oz the Great and Powerful" could see a collaboration between Oscar-nominated actor Robert Downey Jr. and Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes. Production Weekly reported and then Los Angeles Times affirmed that the two are currently circling the project in their own capacity.
Robert is allegedly talking to producer about taking the role of the Wizard in the prequel to 1939 "The Wizard of Oz". Sam, in the meantime, is mentioned as the top choice to serve behind the lens for this action adventure movie, competing with "Hairspray" director Adam Shankman.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" is based on the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum. The movie will follow Oz's life before he was a wizard, back when he was just a circus performer from Omaha.
Mitchell Kapner has been hired to write the script with Joe Roth serving as producer for Disney. If it all goes according to the plan, the movie could start shooting as early as next spring when Robert has an empty schedule between the production of his other films.
45-year-old Robert Downey Jr. recently starred in "Sherlock Holmes" and will reprise his role as Tony Stark aka Iron Man in "Iron Man 2". As for Sam Mendes, his latest work in film feature was 2009 "Away We Go". The British filmmaker was set to helm "Bond 23" but the project has just been announced being put on hold for indefinite time.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny