Robert Downey Jr. May Team Up With Sam Mendes in 'Wizard of Oz' Prequel
"Oz the Great and Powerful" could see a collaboration between Oscar-nominated actor Robert Downey Jr. and Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes. Production Weekly reported and then Los Angeles Times affirmed that the two are currently circling the project in their own capacity.
Robert is allegedly talking to producer about taking the role of the Wizard in the prequel to 1939 "The Wizard of Oz". Sam, in the meantime, is mentioned as the top choice to serve behind the lens for this action adventure movie, competing with "Hairspray" director Adam Shankman.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" is based on the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum. The movie will follow Oz's life before he was a wizard, back when he was just a circus performer from Omaha.
Mitchell Kapner has been hired to write the script with Joe Roth serving as producer for Disney. If it all goes according to the plan, the movie could start shooting as early as next spring when Robert has an empty schedule between the production of his other films.
45-year-old Robert Downey Jr. recently starred in "Sherlock Holmes" and will reprise his role as Tony Stark aka Iron Man in "Iron Man 2". As for Sam Mendes, his latest work in film feature was 2009 "Away We Go". The British filmmaker was set to helm "Bond 23" but the project has just been announced being put on hold for indefinite time.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked