Robert Downey Jr. May Team Up With Sam Mendes in 'Wizard of Oz' Prequel
"Oz the Great and Powerful" could see a collaboration between Oscar-nominated actor Robert Downey Jr. and Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes. Production Weekly reported and then Los Angeles Times affirmed that the two are currently circling the project in their own capacity.
Robert is allegedly talking to producer about taking the role of the Wizard in the prequel to 1939 "The Wizard of Oz". Sam, in the meantime, is mentioned as the top choice to serve behind the lens for this action adventure movie, competing with "Hairspray" director Adam Shankman.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" is based on the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum. The movie will follow Oz's life before he was a wizard, back when he was just a circus performer from Omaha.
Mitchell Kapner has been hired to write the script with Joe Roth serving as producer for Disney. If it all goes according to the plan, the movie could start shooting as early as next spring when Robert has an empty schedule between the production of his other films.
45-year-old Robert Downey Jr. recently starred in "Sherlock Holmes" and will reprise his role as Tony Stark aka Iron Man in "Iron Man 2". As for Sam Mendes, his latest work in film feature was 2009 "Away We Go". The British filmmaker was set to helm "Bond 23" but the project has just been announced being put on hold for indefinite time.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die