Sam Claflin Lands Key Role in 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'
"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" has found its replacement for Orlando Bloom. Walt Disney Pictures has announced that Sam Claflin has been tapped to star in the upcoming movie to play a key role of Philip, a youthful missionary.
Previously, it was reported that Claflin was competing with another newcomer Max Irons for the leading part in the film. It appears that the "The Pillars of the Earth" star won the competition from his fellow British actor.
Few days before, the studio has added another name to the line-up of actors for "Pirates of the Caribbean 4". French actress Astrid Berges-Frisbey has been cast to portray a "beautiful and alluring young mermaid" called Syrena.
In "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", Johnny Depp will reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow. Penelope Cruz is set to star opposite him, playing Blackbeard's daughter who will also have a flirt with Depp's character.
The fourth installment of the adventure film franchise will follow the eccentric pirate on a quest to find the Fountain of Youth. Rob Marshall will serve behind the lens when shooting starts in Hawaii this summer for a scheduled May 20, 2011 U.S. release.
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'