Artist of the Week: Nicki Minaj
After a number of duets with Usher, Lil Wayne and Mariah Carey among others, Nicki Minaj finally has a debut single "Massive Attack" out for listening pleasure. The song features Sean Garrett and is confirmed as the lead single from the female rapper's first studio album which will be released later this year.
"It's very, very explosive! It's a club banger," Garrett said of the track in an interview with Rap-Up. "It's a lot broader than what people would expect her to come with. The record puts her in the game in a way that says she should've been here a long time ago."
A music video for the song, which is due for digital download on April 13, is directed by Hype Williams and has been debuted in late March on BET's "106 & Park". It has a cameo appearance from Amber Rose and sees Minaj along with the Kanye West's girlfriend speeding on the desert.
She said the video is dedicated to Weezy. "I wanna say shout-out to my baby Wayne, because he's not here," she told MTV during the video shoot. "This means the world to me, because Wayne was one of the first people that believed in me. He's not here to see my first video. But he's here in spirit, obviously."
"I wanna tell him, 'I love you very much. Thank you for everything you've done for me thus far.' And to my whole team, Young Money, I love you guys. This is for Wayne and this is for my whole team. Young Money/Cash Money, we in the building."
Speaking of her upcoming album meanwhile, Nicki Minaj shared to Onairidiots.com that she won't rush it. She explained, "I'm a perfectionist and I want this buzz to really meet/surpass everyone's expectation of the people that support me. You got so many people that don't support you, but to the one's that do, they look at me and they see big things and I don't wanna disappoint them. To say I don't have pressure, I'd be lying. I do. I feel it all the time. I feel like I have to make this a masterpiece."
In a recent interview with BET, she opened up her interest to make a duet with Beyonce Knowles. "I think I could come up with some crazy stuff for Beyonce," she stated. "I have things that I write for girls, like R&B singers."
More Nicki Minaj News
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce From Lamar Odom Again
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them