2011 Oscars Ceremony Sets a Date
The Academy has chosen a date to hold the most prestigious event to honor those in movies. On Thursday, March 25, Academy President Tom Sherak has announced that the 83rd annual Academy Awards will be presented on Sunday, February 27, 2011. The ceremony will once again take place at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood and aired live by the ABC Television Network.
Next year's Oscars will return to its old slot, the last Sunday in February, which has been occupied by the event since 2004. The latest Academy Awards gala night, however, was held on the first Sunday in March in order to avoid going head-to-head with the closing ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Along with the announcement of the date for the 2011 Oscars, the Academy has also released schedule for several important events that will take place prior to the ceremony itself and it is known that the nominees will be unveiled on early January 25, 2011 at Samuel Goldwyn Theater. The final polls to determine the winner, meanwhile, will be closed on February 22, 2011 at 5 P.M. PT.
Though it is still months away from the nominations announcement, early predictions from experts at the Los Angeles Times newspaper's The Envelope blog mention that Angelina Jolie, Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway will be among the frontrunners to win best actress prize at the 2011 Oscars. As for the best actor, those who are tipped to receive the honor include Jake Gyllenhaal, Ben Stiller as well as Michael Douglas.
Key dates scheduled for the 83rd annual Academy Awards:
- Saturday, November 13, 2010: Governors Awards presentation
- Wednesday, December 1, 2010: Official Screen Credits forms due
- Monday, December 27, 2010: Nominations ballots mailed
- Friday, January 14, 2011: Nominations polls close 5 P.M. PT
- Tuesday, January 25, 2011: Nominations announced 5:30 A.M. PT, Samuel Goldwyn Theater
- Wednesday, February 2, 2011: Final ballots mailed
- Monday, February 7, 2011: Nominees Luncheon
- Saturday, February 12, 2011: Scientific and Technical Awards presentation
- Tuesday, February 22, 2011: Final polls close 5 P.M. PT
- Sunday, February 27, 2011: 83rd Annual Academy Awards presentation
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed