Alicia Keys, Shakira and Black Eyed Peas Up for World Cup Concert
The performers ready to fly to South Africa and perform in front of soccer mania have been announced. Alicia Keys, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and John Legend were unveiled by FIFA on Wednesday, March 17 as musical guests on their World Cup concert.
In addition to those international artists, local musicians have also been booked to sing at the upcoming gig. They are South African folk singer Vusi Mahlasela, Malian artists Amadou and Mariam as well as South African rock bands BLK JKS and The Parlotones.
"We are thrilled to have a concert of such magnitude and performing talent raise the curtain on the first FIFA World Cup in Africa," FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said in a statement. "It is testament to the universal and unifying power of football and music, and will start the competition off on the right note -- of celebration."
The concert will take place at Soweto's 30,000-capacity Orlando Stadium on June 10, a day before the World Cup starts, and will be broadcast live worldwide. Net proceeds from the gig will benefit FIFA's 2010 social campaign which is aimed to offer healthcare services, education and soccer training for disadvantaged communities.
- Comic-Con: 'Once Upon a Time' Season 7 Gets October Premiere Date
- Watch John Boyega Pilot a Jaeger in 'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Teaser Promo
- 'American Horror Story' Season 7 Official Title and Teaser Are Unveiled
- Comic-Con: 'Teen Wolf' Season 6B Debuts New Trailer, Dylan O'Brien Makes Surprise Panelist
- Comic-Con: 'Stargate' Is Revived With Prequel Series on Digital Platform
- Linkin Park Releases 'Talking to Myself' Video Before Reports of Chester Bennington's Death - Watch
- Braless Ariel Winter Flaunts Major Sideboob in Barely-There Top
- Comic-Con: 'Marvel's Inhumans' Trailer Shows Medusa's Power and Ellen Woglom's Mystery Character