Alicia Keys, Shakira and Black Eyed Peas Up for World Cup Concert
The performers ready to fly to South Africa and perform in front of soccer mania have been announced. Alicia Keys, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and John Legend were unveiled by FIFA on Wednesday, March 17 as musical guests on their World Cup concert.
In addition to those international artists, local musicians have also been booked to sing at the upcoming gig. They are South African folk singer Vusi Mahlasela, Malian artists Amadou and Mariam as well as South African rock bands BLK JKS and The Parlotones.
"We are thrilled to have a concert of such magnitude and performing talent raise the curtain on the first FIFA World Cup in Africa," FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said in a statement. "It is testament to the universal and unifying power of football and music, and will start the competition off on the right note -- of celebration."
The concert will take place at Soweto's 30,000-capacity Orlando Stadium on June 10, a day before the World Cup starts, and will be broadcast live worldwide. Net proceeds from the gig will benefit FIFA's 2010 social campaign which is aimed to offer healthcare services, education and soccer training for disadvantaged communities.
More Alicia Keys News
- Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
- Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
- Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
- Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?
- Rihanna to Open 2016 MTV Video Music Awards
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds