Back to Masters, Tiger Woods Could Create Rating History
Tiger Woods announced on Tuesday, March 16 that he will officially come back to the golf course after his personal life took over the headlines last year. The professional golfer who admitted to have cheated on wife Elin Nordegren, has picked the first Masters Tournament he would participate in after the five-month hiatus.
"The Masters is where I won my first major, and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta," Woods said in a statement. "The major championships have always been a special focus in my career, and as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been a while since I last played."
The tournament starts April 8 and it is expected to be the most watched golf event of all time. ESPN will cover the first two days, followed by CBS. However, the TV networks airing this event may not fully enjoy the rating success for Augusta National Golf Club places strict rules for telecast.
There are only three sponsors at this event and they are all pre-sold to IBM, Coke and Mercedes. Moreover, networks are allowed very little self-promotion during the telecast. Nevertheless, they could see the event's telecast as a way to crank up some rating for the programs that follow. Plus, Comcast plans to broadcast the tournament in 3D, making it a historical event for TV since it will be the first major sports event using the technology.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Possible Reconciliation With Christina
- Chance The Rapper and Jeremih Featured on Taylor Bennett's 'Grown Up Fairy Tales'
- Uh-Oh! 'The Vampire Diaries' Poised to Bring Back This Ultimate Villain
- Report: Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Moving to Australia Next Year
- Selena Gomez Goes Braless in Sexy New Pics
- Patrick Stewart Is Done Playing Professor X in 'X-Men' Franchise
- Jamie Foxx Dumps Katie Holmes Over Her Scientology Drama
- Mahershala Ali and Wife Welcome Baby Girl