'Jersey Shore' Picked Up by MTV Italia
Despite being deemed as the false portrayal of Italian American, "Jersey Shore" will be exposed to Italian youngsters later this month. Variety reported that MTV Italia has purchased the right to broadcast the first season of the reality show that follows so-called guidos and guidettes living under one roof.
MTV Italia will start airing the show on Monday, March 22 at 10/9c. And given that MTV is aired on free TV in Italy, "Jersey Shore" could actually absorb huge rating from the 20 million plus households. Also, less or little opposition from advocacy groups are expected since the term "guido" is commonly used in the country.
Although MTV defended that Snooki, The Situation, J-Woww, Sammie and the others are the "most famous Italoamericans in the world", a leading daily newspaper in Italy thought otherwise. Corriere della Sera noted "as if the boors on 'Big Brother' weren't enough, now we are importing a reality show that even boosts our country's bad name."
In the U.S, "Jersey Shore" is often in the middle of controversy. New Jersey Italian and Italian American Heritage Commission sent a letter to Viacom, MTV's parent company, asking them to cancel the show for its "offensive, inaccurate" portrayal of Italian-Americans. Nevertheless, MTV renewed it for season 2 because the first one concluded with 4 million viewers.
The second season allegedly will be relocated to Miami, possibly Mynt Beach. The cast are expected to arrive in the new home and start shooting on March 20.
- Fragile Yoko Ono Is Hoping to See John Lennon in Heaven
- Beyhive Is on the Hunt for Beyonce's Secret Snapchat Account
- Lionel Richie Puts 'All the Hits Tour' on Hold Due to Knee Surgery
- Did Justin Bieber Just Hint That He's Dating Someone on Twitter?
- Perrie Edwards Sparks Pregnancy Speculation With Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?