Joaquin Phoenix to Be Back On Screen as Edgar Allan Poe
After announcing his retirement from acting in late 2008, Joaquin Phoenix may be seen on big screen again. Speaking to Mumbai Mirror, Oscar-winning sound recordist Resul Pookutty who previously worked on "Slumdog Millionaire" has revealed that the actor is set to star in "The Beautiful Cigar Girl", portraying Edgar Allan Poe.
"It is a very special challenge because I have to recreate the sound textures of New York in 1854. It's an adaptation of 'The Beautiful Cigar Girl' by Daniel Stashower and based on an eerie real-life experience of author Edgar Allan Poe which happened just months before his death," Resul says on his involvement in the project, before claiming "Joaquin plays Edgar Allan Poe."
There is no word on who will direct or write the script for the movie. The book itself tells the story of Edgar's investigation in solving the mystery behind the brutal death of a beautiful society girl.
If the news is proven to be true, "The Beautiful Cigar Girl" could mark Joaquin Phoenix's debut on big screen after deciding to quit acting to focus on his music career in October 2008. He previously has starred in a number of movies including "Gladiator", "Hotel Rwanda" and "Two Lovers".
On his music career, Joaquin recorded the soundtrack album of "Walk the Line" and won an award at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards for his work on the soundtrack. In May 2008, he was reported to have recorded songs he had written himself with Mike Fox taking the lead vocal. However, the project still has no release date.
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown
- Rita Ora Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Plunging Mini Dress at De Grisogono Party in Cannes
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Does the Right Contestant Win Season 24?