Joaquin Phoenix to Be Back On Screen as Edgar Allan Poe
After announcing his retirement from acting in late 2008, Joaquin Phoenix may be seen on big screen again. Speaking to Mumbai Mirror, Oscar-winning sound recordist Resul Pookutty who previously worked on "Slumdog Millionaire" has revealed that the actor is set to star in "The Beautiful Cigar Girl", portraying Edgar Allan Poe.
"It is a very special challenge because I have to recreate the sound textures of New York in 1854. It's an adaptation of 'The Beautiful Cigar Girl' by Daniel Stashower and based on an eerie real-life experience of author Edgar Allan Poe which happened just months before his death," Resul says on his involvement in the project, before claiming "Joaquin plays Edgar Allan Poe."
There is no word on who will direct or write the script for the movie. The book itself tells the story of Edgar's investigation in solving the mystery behind the brutal death of a beautiful society girl.
If the news is proven to be true, "The Beautiful Cigar Girl" could mark Joaquin Phoenix's debut on big screen after deciding to quit acting to focus on his music career in October 2008. He previously has starred in a number of movies including "Gladiator", "Hotel Rwanda" and "Two Lovers".
On his music career, Joaquin recorded the soundtrack album of "Walk the Line" and won an award at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards for his work on the soundtrack. In May 2008, he was reported to have recorded songs he had written himself with Mike Fox taking the lead vocal. However, the project still has no release date.
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones