'Avatar' to Be Re-Released With New Footage
"Avatar" has raked in more than $2 billion worldwide, but the 20th Century Fox still plans to make more money from the film. In an interview with USA Today, director James Cameron reveals that there is an idea to re-release the movie later this year with additional footage from some deleted scenes.
"The wildcard is that we might be re-releasing the movie this fall," the filmmaker states. Speaking on the reason why they want to relaunch the movie, Cameron elaborates, "It's kind of gotten stomped out (in theaters) because of 'Alice in Wonderland'. The word we're getting back from exhibitors is we probably left a couple of hundred million dollars on the table as a result."
Realizing that audience may lose their appetite to watch an old movie when there are already a lot of great films during the summer, Cameron says, "The question is the appetite still going to be there after the summer glut of movies. We're going to assess that. We're talking about maybe adding in additional footage and doing something creative."
Similar to Cameron's statement, IMAX head Richard Gelfond also says the helmer has forty additional minutes at his disposal. Trailer Park Movies's MySpace Blog reports these never-before-seen scenes are being considered to be included in the movie which is planned to be re-released this summer or fall, "when there's less competition."
Before "Avatar" hits theaters once again, a two dimensional DVD of the original version of the sci-fi movie probably has been released. The site further mentions there are talks about making the DVD available for purchase in April or May this year.
"Avatar" follows Sam Worthington's Jake Sully who embarks on a journey of redemption and discovery in distant moon Pandora. He will later lead a heroic battle to save a civilization. Not only making record in Box Office, the film has also successfully won three prizes at the recent Oscars.
More Avatar News
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'
- Britney Spears Sucks Helium and Hilariously Sings a Taylor Swift Hit
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune