Artist of the Week: Gorillaz
As a follow-up to their two previous albums which went platinum, Gorillaz are gearing up to release "Plastic Beach". This virtual band are going to release their new album in the United States on March 9.
As their first treatment before the album comes out, they released "an electro-ish 'crack funk' sound" called "Stylo". Of the single, Murdoc Niccals told NME, "I wanted the music to feel euphoric, whilst still putting across how precarious our tightly packed situation is now, worldwide. Where we're at as a species on this overpopulated planet."
Featuring Bobby Womack and Mos Def, the track made its way out in January and peaked at No. 25 on Billboard Alternative Songs chart. Its music video was debuted two months later, seeing Bruce Willis playing an assailant who chases 2D, Murdoc and Noodle down the desert road.
Beside Bobby Womack and Mos Def, there are also Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, Gruff Rhys, De La Soul, Mike Jones and Lou Reed lending their vocal. With a boost from those musicians, the record could make a notable debut on Billboard Hot 200.
Gorillaz are scheduled to headline the third day of the 11th Annual Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival on April 18. They will be joined by the likes of B.o.B., Thom Yorke's new band Atoms for Peace, Matt and Kim, Florence and the Machine and Pavement.
More Gorillaz News
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sports Cornrows and Heavy Makeup in New Instagram Pics
- Pregnant Nikki Reed Bares Cleavage in Sexy Maternity Clothes
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Mother Laughs Off Georgina Rodriguez Pregnancy Rumor: 'It's Nonsense'
- Lamar Odom Is Refused Entry at Los Angeles Strip Club
- Kim Kardashian Is Begging Khloe to Be Her Surrogate for Baby No. 3
- So Cruel! Travis Scott Compares Kylie's Bedroom Skills to Sister Kendall Jenner's
- Selena Gomez Denies Collaboration With The Weeknd on New Music: 'It's Not True'
- 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' Iconic Character Holly Golightly to Become a Merchandise Queen