Artist of the Week: Gorillaz
As a follow-up to their two previous albums which went platinum, Gorillaz are gearing up to release "Plastic Beach". This virtual band are going to release their new album in the United States on March 9.
As their first treatment before the album comes out, they released "an electro-ish 'crack funk' sound" called "Stylo". Of the single, Murdoc Niccals told NME, "I wanted the music to feel euphoric, whilst still putting across how precarious our tightly packed situation is now, worldwide. Where we're at as a species on this overpopulated planet."
Featuring Bobby Womack and Mos Def, the track made its way out in January and peaked at No. 25 on Billboard Alternative Songs chart. Its music video was debuted two months later, seeing Bruce Willis playing an assailant who chases 2D, Murdoc and Noodle down the desert road.
Beside Bobby Womack and Mos Def, there are also Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, Gruff Rhys, De La Soul, Mike Jones and Lou Reed lending their vocal. With a boost from those musicians, the record could make a notable debut on Billboard Hot 200.
Gorillaz are scheduled to headline the third day of the 11th Annual Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival on April 18. They will be joined by the likes of B.o.B., Thom Yorke's new band Atoms for Peace, Matt and Kim, Florence and the Machine and Pavement.
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'