Jennifer Lopez Leaving Sony Music, In Talks to Join Def Jam
Jennifer Lopez is no longer working under the umbrella of Sony Music Epic Records. The singer decided to go separate ways with her longtime label after having a "heart-to-heart" conversation with Chairman Rob Stringer at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills during the Grammys week.
"Jennifer had a wonderful relationship with the Sony Music group, and they have shared many successes together," her manager Benny Medina told Deadline. "But the time was right to make a change that best serves the direction her career as an actress and recording artist. She is grateful and appreciative to everyone Sony for all that they accomplished together."
Following her departure from the giant recording company, Jennifer reportedly is in talks to sign a deal with Island Def Jam, the current home of such divas as Mariah Carey and Rihanna. She was rumored to have met the label's CEO L.A. Reid at the Grammys after-party last month.
A greatest hits compilation is planned to be released by Sony this fall. But, the fate of her upcoming seventh studio album "Love?" is currently in question despite the fact that two singles from the new album, "Fresh Out the Oven" and "Louboutins", have been embraced by music lovers.
Serving as a buzz song, "Fresh Out the Oven" peaked at No. 1 on Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs chart, while its official lead single "Louboutins" failed on the chart, only reaching No. 13. Another single which is plotted to be released is "What Is Love". It is picked up as one of the soundtracks for her upcoming movie "The Back-Up Plan".
More Jennifer Lopez News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance