Confirmed, Mark Strong Is 'Green Lantern' Villain
Mark Strong has officially signed on to star as the villain in "Green Lantern". The actor's involvement in the film is confirmed by Geoff Johns, the writer of comic book "Green Lantern: Rebirth", who tweeted on Sunday, February 21, "Back from an amazing trip to Green Lantern town a.k.a. New Orleans!! Ryan IS Hal. And Mark Strong is going to be a brilliant Sinestro."
Back in January, Strong was linked to the role of Green Lantern's nemesis after director Martin Campbell stated the 47-year-old was in consideration to play Sinestro. The filmmaker additionally praised the British star, saying "He's not only a wonderful actor, but he looks like Sinestro. If you look up old pictures of Sinestro, he's very like him."
Mark Strong is well known for his villainous characters in several movies such as Archy in "RocknRolla", Septimus in "Stardust" and Lord Blackwood in "Sherlock Holmes". Later, he can be seen starring as Frank D'Amico in "Kick-Ass", which is set to hit U.S. theaters on April 16.
"Green Lantern" itself will follow Hal Jordan, an ordinary man who was chosen by a dying alien named Abin Sur to receive a green energy-powered ring used for protecting the planet. Ryan Reynolds has been tapped to play the titular character in the movie, which is expected to start production soon for June 17, 2011 release in the U.S.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival