Anthony Hopkins Talks His 'Thor' Role
Anthony Hopkins has an important role in the storyline of "Thor" as he plays Odin who sends his son Thor to Earth. In a recent interview with Los Angeles Times, the veteran actor was willing to explain why his character seems heartless to his own child.
"He's a stern man. He's a man with purpose. I play the god who banishes his son from the kingdom of Asgard because he screwed up," he elaborated, before adding "He's a hot-headed, temperamental young man --- probably a chip off of the old block -- but I decide he's not really ready to rule the future kingdom, so I banish him." He then described Odin in simpler words, saying "He's ruthless, take-it-or-leave-it."
"Thor" is an epic adventure that spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. The story centers on Chris Hemsworth's Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior, who is cast down to Earth due to his reckless actions, but he later learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of Asgard tries to invade Earth.
Starring opposite Hemsworth is Natalie Portman, who is set to portray Thor's first love Jane Foster. Additionally, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Jaimie Alexander, Kat Dennings and many others are also cast for the film. This Kenneth Branagh-directed action adventure movie has begun production in January and is slated for May 6, 2011 release in the U.S.
More Thor News
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7: It's Negan's World Now
- First Look at New Villain in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Revealed
- 'Homeland' Finds Its Female President in 'House of Cards' Star
- Lindsay Lohan's Father Confirms She Told Him She's Pregnant
- Beyonce and 4-Year-Old Blue Ivy Play Twinsie in Cute Pictures
- Shonda Rhimes Denies 'GMA' Report That 'Scandal' Is Ending With Season 6
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer