Video: 'We Are the World' Solo Recording Sessions by Justin Bieber, Pink and More
Listen to part of "We Are the World" studio version through footage of its recording session. Obtained via MTV, this clip features Pink, Justin Bieber, Josh Groban, Adam Levine, Mary J. Blige and Akon recording their solo parts.
More than 70 big stars, such as Kanye West, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, are also captured standing next to each other to record its chorus. While all of them are delivering the verses, pictures of Haiti post the earthquake are played on big screens behind them.
"We are the world, we are the children / We are the ones who make a brighter day," so they sing with producer Quincy Jones standing in front of them and listening via headphones. "So lets start giving / There's a choice we're making / We're saving our own lives / it's true we'll make a better day / Just you and me."
Music video for the benefit single is worked on by Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis and will see Michael Jackson appearing posthumously in a split screen with his sister Janet Jackson joining him. With the help from Haitian students, he finished not only one but two versions of the videos; a three-and-a-half-minute version for the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics and a seven-and-a-half-minute version that contains the uncut song.
"It was interesting seeing Pink and Tony Bennett working it out," the director said. "They were jamming. They had a lot of fun. ... You hear these stories about people checking their egos at the door, and it really is true."
"They came and stood forever and were glorified extras a lot of the time. They just stood in the corner and waved. It was hot and it was crowded. When there's chaos, there's friction. Where there's fiction, there's drama, and I knew I'd have fun things to shoot. Unfortunately, there wasn't as much drama as I expected. People really got along very well."
Update: Another brand new footage from Entertainment Tonight which is much longer has arrived, revealing more behind-the-scene look at the studio session.
More Justin Bieber News
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does