'American Idol' Hollywood Round Part 1
A total of 95 people successfully went through in the first Hollywood Round on "American Idol". On Tuesday, February 9 night Ellen DeGeneres made her debut selecting those whom Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson and celebrity guest judges gave a second chance at the audition tour.
The 95 people chosen to enter the group round were selected from 181 hopefuls. They were grouped into eight and they got to choose to bring instrument or a capella. This bunch included Andrew Garcia, a father who wants to make a change for his son. Garcia brought a rendition of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" with his guitar and amazed everybody in the theater. Kara called it "genius", saying that Paula would be clapping and shouting when she heard that rendition. He went through along with worship pastor Tasha Leighton.
The fallen ones included Vanessa Wolfe who butchered her rendition of "No Rain" because she could not control her nerve. Cornelius Edwards, known as the guy who ripped his pants during audition also stopped his journey then and there when he couldn't find the right key to sing his song choice.
Meanwhile, Janell Wheeler from Tampa, Florida had Ellen saying "amazing" when she finished a guitar-ridden version of Estelle's "American Boy". She was in the same group with rocker mom Mary Powers and young country girl Haeley Vaughn. Together they made it to the next round along with 45 others on Day 1.
The second day was kicked off with a bad beatboxing by Jay Stone and a compelling story from Michael Lynche. Shortly before he went up the stage, Michael was told by his wife that she was in labor. Announcing the good news on the stage, Michael belted out John Mayer's "Waiting for the World to Change". He went through along with sandwich maker Lilly Scott and Texan Tim Urban.
Meanwhile, "Barney" girl Erica Rhodes failed to make it, and so did sisters Bernadette and Amanda Disimone as well as Maddy Curtis who charmed the judges in Boston. Surprisingly, Casey James who took off his shirt for Kara and Victoria Adams made it to the next round after he sang Ray Charles' "I Don't Need No Doctor".
The last group displayed some real talents with the performances by Didi Benami and Crystal Bowersox. Both made it to the next round with the latter getting a standing ovation through a rock rendition of Aretha Franklin's "Natural Woman".
More American Idol News
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...
- Check Out Details of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's 'Intimate' Dinner in Nashville