David Letterman, Oprah Winfrey and Jay Leno Have an 'Awkward' Moment on Super Bowl
One of this year's surprises at the Super Bowl XLIV is when David Letterman, Oprah Winfrey and Jay Leno appear together for a promo ad of David's late night show. Oprah is seen sitting on the couch between David and Jay, watching the show on TV.
The clip kicks off with David complaining about the game saying, "This is the worst Super Bowl party ever." Oprah is quick to respond to his rant, "Now, Dave, be nice." David then replied, "He's just saying that because I'm here." In return, David mocks Jay, making Oprah to roll her eyes, sigh and throw up her hands in frustration.
The whole thing is David's idea with Oprah and Jay are willing to participate. The spot was filmed at the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City on the heels of drama between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien over the "Tonight Show" slot which put Jay on the villain side and made David criticize him.
Though it leads to speculation that it's an effort to put the drama behind, executive producer of "Late Show with David Letterman", Rob Burnett, insisted the initial idea is just for entertainment. "This wasn't done to help Dave or to help Jay," he said. "Though I think it does help both of them. It was just done because Dave thought it would be funny and would entertain people. Nothing went beyond that."
Despite the fact that the three are shot sitting uncomfortably next to each other on the clip, Burnett said they get along during the filming. "Dave and Jay were very professional and cordial and friendly with each other," he confessed. "And Oprah, in addition to her many talents, is a wonderful comedienne."
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair