'Avatar' Breaks 'Titanic' Domestic Record
"Avatar" has officially become the new king of Hollywood movie industry. According to The Hollywood Reporter, as of Wednesday, February 3, this James Cameron-directed sci-fi has collected $601.1 million from ticket sales in the U.S. and Canada, surpassing the domestic record of $600.8 million set by Cameron's 1998 movie "Titanic". Accordingly, "Avatar" has become the highest-grossing domestic box office movie ever.
Speaking about how far "Avatar" will go, The 20th Century Fox domestic distribution president Bruce Snyder said, "I have no idea where we go from here." He then added, "The only picture that has gotten this high was 'Titanic,' but 'Avatar' is coming off of a $30 million weekend while 'Titanic' was ending its theatrical run at the same point in the cume."
Previously, the action thriller which follows Sam Worthington's Jake Sully in a journey to distant moon Pandora has broken other records by "Titanic". "Avatar" has been crowned as the biggest-grossing offshore as well as the highest worldwide grosser in late January.
Not only successfully pulling in coins, "Avatar" has also managed to land several prizes at awards show. During the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards, the action thriller which was released on December 18, 2009 grabbed Best Motion Picture gong and aided Cameron to win Best Director prize.
More Avatar News
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors