'American Idol' in Dallas: Girl Who Won't Take No, a Dominatrix and Cancer Survivor
Dallas was the next stop in "American Idol" audition this week and this city sent out 31 contestants to Hollywood. Neil Patrick Harris sat with Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, and Randy Jackson on Day 1, replaced by Joe Jonas on the second day.
The judges got a tough contestant early in the audition. Julie Kevelighan tried out in the first season of "American Idol" but was plain bad. She went for a second chance this year but was equally bad. Problem was, she won't stop at singing one song even though the judges have said no several times. Security had to walk her out of the room and once she's out there, she blamed her breathing technique.
After a montage of yes to some women, the first yes to men was given to Lloyd Thomas. The dock worker is looking forward to provide a better living for his two daughters. Singing "Overjoyed", Lloyd not only impressed the judges with his voice but also with his bubbly personality. He went through with four votes.
Montage of tears of rejection was played and then an audition that involved a whip. Erica Rhodes wanted to show the world that she's all grown up after taking part in Barney and Friends while she was a kid. Cracking the whip she brought and the judges at the same time, Erica actually got a full-house vote of yes.
Closing the first day, Dave Pittman has both impressive personal story and vocal. He has a nerve system dysfunction called Tourette's Syndrome whereby he blinks, coughs, twitches his head often. "Miraculously", he doesn't get the symptoms when singing. His rendition of Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home to Me" got him a golden ticket.
On the second day, Joe was forced to hold back laughters when Vanessa Johnston sang. She is a 22-year-old who tries to stay positive in every way even when Simon called her audition his worst nightmare. She sang "At Last", got four no votes and said thank you while laughing on the way out.
The last contestant was someone that Simon liked very much. Christian Spear is a 16-year-old leukemia survivor who was diagnosed with the disease when she was four. Kara and Joe loved her confidence despite her being 16-year-old. She went through with four yeses.
- Julie Kevelighan
More American Idol News
- Wendy Williams Skeptical of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's Romance, Calling Him 'an Opportunist'
- Chloe Moretz Blasts 'Hateful' Twitter Trolls
- Watch Justin Bieber's Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
- Caitlyn Jenner Was 'Disgusted' by Bruce's 'Greek God Kind of Body'
- 'American Horror Story' Reveals This Mysterious Logo of Season 6
- Rob Kardashian's Threat Is Apparently Why Blac Chyna Got Invited to Khloe's Birthday Party
- Kylie Jenner Is Getting Fancy New Car. Another Gift From Tyga?
- Fifth Harmony's Camila Cabello Goes Solo Again for Charity Song 'Power in Me'