Canceled 'Ugly Betty' to Be Given Proper Ending
Struggling with rating for two seasons after a phenomenal success in season one and two, "Ugly Betty" finally gives up to ABC casualties this midseason. The current fourth season will be the last fans will see of America Ferrera, Vanessa Williams, Eric Mabius and the rest of the Mode gang. The show's episode order which was placed at 22 is now trimmed to 20.
However, in a joint statement released on Wednesday, January 27, creator Silvio Horta and ABC president Steve McPherson said that they will give the show a proper ending. "We've mutually come to the difficult decision to make this 'Ugly Betty's' final season," they said. "And (we) are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion. We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell."
Steadily declining in rating, "Ugly Betty" hit the rock bottom in season four with 5 million average on viewership. The show had its glory in season 1 with 11 million viewers per week and two Golden Globes winnings. However, it started to lose viewers in the second half of season 2 and ABC eventually put it on Friday night slot where viewers are mostly not home. In a bid to crank up the rating, ABC moved it to Wednesday night comedy line-up but apparently it didn't work out as expected.
More Ugly Betty News
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding