'Avatar' Officially the Highest Grossing Movie Ever, Story for the Sequel Discussed
Just as it has been predicted, "Avatar" managed to break "Titanic" record as the highest worldwide grosser. On Tuesday, January 26, 20th Century Fox has reported that the big-budget sci-fi has pulled in $1.859 billion in worldwide revenue. The number passed the $1.843 billion gained by 1997 "Titanic".
Insiders from News Corp, which owns 20th Century Fox, believe "Avatar" worldwide revenue will reach $2 billion. By next weekend or next midweek, the Sam Worthington-starring movie which now has earned $555 million from ticket sales in North America is also expected to surpass the domestic record of $600.8 million set by the Kate Winslet-starring drama.
In another "Avatar" news, Cameron recently spoke to channel E! at the Producers Guild of America Awards about the story for the sequel. "We just have to come up with a great story, which we haven't done yet. I have a rough story," the filmmaker teased. "But you need to make a script, so that might take some time. Don't start going to buy your tickets."
"Avatar" follows former marine Jake Sully who embarks on a journey to distant moon Pandora to join Avatar program and later leads a heroic battle to save a civilization. The flick has been named Best Motion Picture at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards and aided its director James Cameron to land Best Director gong at the same event.
More Avatar News
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert
- Kim Kardashian Caught Wearing Butt Pads at Khloe's Birthday Party
- Check Out Peter Parker in Spidey Suit on 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set
- Wendy Williams Skeptical of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's Romance, Calling Him 'an Opportunist'
- Chloe Moretz Blasts 'Hateful' Twitter Trolls
- Watch Justin Bieber's Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
- Caitlyn Jenner Was 'Disgusted' by Bruce's 'Greek God Kind of Body'
- 'American Horror Story' Reveals This Mysterious Logo of Season 6