Storyline and Villains for 'Star Trek' Sequel Discussed
There is still about one and a half year away before the follow up to "Star Trek" hits U.S. theaters. However, writers for this untitled Star Trek sequel Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have been working on the script for the movie. During a panel after a screening of "Star Trek" at the WGA theater in Beverly Hills on Wednesday, January 20, the two were willing to spill some of their ideas for the upcoming film.
"We would never do a remake....it will be some time in the five-year mission," Orci stated about the set of the second "Star Trek" film. He then added, "But that is a question. Should we pick them up immediately the next day or should it be later, we are still discussing that."
Later, without mentioning any possible villainous character, Kurtzman claimed the villain will have a significant part in the sequel. "I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about," he explained.
The 36-year-old scriptwriter additionally credited Wrath of Khan who has brought up together a solid starship crew in the first movie. "Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the ultimately sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well," he said.
Paramount Pictures recently announced that they have planned a summer release for the second installment of "Star Trek" film franchise, locking June 29, 2012 slot. Beside Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof has also been tapped to work on the script, while J.J. Abrams has not confirmed whether or not he will return to his directing job for the sequel.
The full coverage of Q&A session with the duo writers can be seen on TrekMovie.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy