'Avatar' Tops Box Office in Sixth Week, Passing 'Titanic' Overseas Record
For six consecutive weekends, "Avatar" has taken the top position on North American Box Office. The James Cameron's movie has added $34.9 million to its domestic haul, making it a total of $551.7 million so far. The number has passed "The Dark Knight" domestic cume of $533 million, but it is still about $49 million away to break "Titanic" record of $601 million.
Though in domestic market "Avatar" is still behind "Titanic", the big budget sci-fi has beaten another record by the Kate Winslet-starring drama, being crowned as the biggest-grossing offshore title in movie history. On Saturday, January 23, the Sam Worthington-starring film has taken in $1.288 billion overseas, exceeding by $46 million "Titanic" 13-year international record of $1.242 billion, so The Hollywood Reporter claimed.
Back on this weekend Box Office chart, newcomer "Legion" made a blast by landing the second place. This Paul Bettany's thriller which was released on Friday, January 22 has collected $17.5 million. Meanwhile, "The Book of Eli" which became the runner-up last week only managed to secure the third spot with an estimated $15.7 million.
On the fourth place there was another newcomer "Tooth Fairy". This drama comedy starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has earned an estimated $14 million on its debut weekend. Rounding up the top five was "The Lovely Bones", which raked in an additional $8.4 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 22-24:
- "Avatar" - $34.9 million
- "Legion" - $17.5 million
- "The Book of Eli" - $15.7 million
- "Tooth Fairy" - $14 million
- "The Lovely Bones" - $8.4 million
- "Sherlock Holmes" - $6.6 million
- "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" - $6.4 million
- "Extraordinary Measures" - $6 million
- "It's Complicated" - $5.8 million
- "The Spy Next Door" - $4.6 million
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences