Rihanna Covering 'Redemption Song' for Haiti at 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
The entire episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on January 21 was dedicated for Haitian earthquake. Rihanna, who is set to sing at the upcoming "Hope for Haiti" concert in London, delivered her rendition of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" during the primetime talk show.
On what makes her dedicate "Redemption Song" for the victims, the Barbadian songstress told Oprah Winfrey, "Growing up, anytime there was a really difficult situation, I always listened to this song 'cause it was so liberating, and even now I listen to it when my back is up against the wall." She added, "I feel like the people of Haiti need to hear something inspiring."
"Often in a tragedy like this, it's the children who suffer the most," she further stated. "They have no way to get food, they're helpless. The children are the future. I want everybody to do what they can right now. But it's what's going to happen six months from now that's really going to count."
In addition to Rihanna, Wyclef Jean and Maxwell were also present to support the cause and share their insight about the disaster. Maxwell who was raised by his Haitian grandmother commented, "It's been devastating for me. My heritage is from there on some level." He also performed his song "Fistful of Tears".
As for Wyclef, the Haitian-born musician who will host "Hope for Haiti" in NYC talked about what people can do to bring relief to the Caribbean island. He also denied allegation that he enriches himself from his Yele organization which is formed to raise fund for the victims. But, he admitted that the non-profit organization "was poorly ran." And now, he is going forward to make it "stronger than ever."
Both "Redemption Song" cover version and "Fistful of Tears" have been up for digital purchase with all proceeds going to Haitian relief.
More Rihanna News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show