Rihanna Covering 'Redemption Song' for Haiti at 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
The entire episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on January 21 was dedicated for Haitian earthquake. Rihanna, who is set to sing at the upcoming "Hope for Haiti" concert in London, delivered her rendition of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" during the primetime talk show.
On what makes her dedicate "Redemption Song" for the victims, the Barbadian songstress told Oprah Winfrey, "Growing up, anytime there was a really difficult situation, I always listened to this song 'cause it was so liberating, and even now I listen to it when my back is up against the wall." She added, "I feel like the people of Haiti need to hear something inspiring."
"Often in a tragedy like this, it's the children who suffer the most," she further stated. "They have no way to get food, they're helpless. The children are the future. I want everybody to do what they can right now. But it's what's going to happen six months from now that's really going to count."
In addition to Rihanna, Wyclef Jean and Maxwell were also present to support the cause and share their insight about the disaster. Maxwell who was raised by his Haitian grandmother commented, "It's been devastating for me. My heritage is from there on some level." He also performed his song "Fistful of Tears".
As for Wyclef, the Haitian-born musician who will host "Hope for Haiti" in NYC talked about what people can do to bring relief to the Caribbean island. He also denied allegation that he enriches himself from his Yele organization which is formed to raise fund for the victims. But, he admitted that the non-profit organization "was poorly ran." And now, he is going forward to make it "stronger than ever."
Both "Redemption Song" cover version and "Fistful of Tears" have been up for digital purchase with all proceeds going to Haitian relief.
More Rihanna News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story