Jim Sturgess Could Be the New Spider-Man
Since Sony Pictures announced that they scrapped "Spider-Man 4" and has planned to make a reboot of the franchise without Tobey Maguire, several names have surfaced as the potential depicter of the titular character. Most recently, Jim Sturgess has been rumored to be among the line-up of contenders to star in the untitled Spider-Man reboot.
The news was first brought into attention by The Hollywood News which noticed a retweet by "Adulthood" director Noel Clarke to British actor Arnold Oceng. The original tweet by Oceng on January 17 stated that Sturgess has been offered the part in upcoming "Spider-Man" film. "Got inside track. jim sturgess has bin offerd the new spiderMan in spiderMan reboot, U knw I always get da inside scoop." Later, when asked by the site if the rumor is true, Oceng replied, "Of course it is."
28-year-old Sturgess made his breakthrough after playing Jude in 2007 musical "Across the Universe" in which he shares screen with Evan Rachel Wood. He has also made an appearance in 2009 film "Crossing Over" which stars Harrison Ford.
Prior to Sturgess, Zac Efron was also mentioned to tackle the role that was previously played by Maguire. However, being met by Access Hollywood at the 15th Annual Critics' Choice Awards, he has debunked the rumor, saying "I really haven't gotten that phone call yet!" He then added, "I'm a huge fan of the franchise and a huge fan of 'Spider-Man'. I love all the movies at this point. It would be a dream come true for any guy my age."
Additionally, Taylor Lautner has been said having a possibility to appear in the "Spider-Man" reboot as he has had a meeting with the film's producers. However, IESB which first reported the news was not able to reveal the role that he might play.
"Spider-Man" reboot will follow Spider-Man's alter ego Peter Parker during his high school age. The film will be produced by Columbia Pictures, Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin. It is planned to be released in summer 2012.
*CLARIFICATION: After this news was published, Paul Heath from The Hollywood News has contacted us to stress that the Jim Sturgess' "Spider-Man" rumor did not come from director Noel Clarke as it was previously suggested. The site wrote, "Although Clarke has previously worked with Sturgess on the movie HEARTLESS, may we please make clear that this rumor did not come from Noel Clarke."
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake