Artist of the Week: Iyaz
New artist Iyaz successfully cracked the Top 5 of Billboard Hot 100. The rapper's debut single "Replay" which also serves as the lead single off his forthcoming studio album "My Life" peaked at No.2 on the chart since being released in July 2009.
Following its success across U.S., Iyaz then released the single in the United Kingdom on January 4 this year. The J.R. Rotem-produced track debuted at the top spot of the country's Singles chart, scanning more than 106,000 copies in its first week on sale. It stayed at No. 1 in the second week.
Recalling the day he recorded the chart-busting single, Iyaz said, "Replay I did in the dark, J.R. said don't come out until you finish." The unique recording session resulted in a catchy tune which managed to sit among Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance", Ke$ha's "Tik Tok", Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" and "Glee" anthem "Don't Stop Believin' " on the charts.
With such impressive chart performances, it is understandable then if Iyaz wants more, such as ruling Billboard Hot 200 and claiming a worldwide fame when his album comes out this Spring. However, the rapper said otherwise when asked what he wants to achieve in the music industry.
"I don't want the fame," he told Neon Limelight in a phone interview. "Just put me in the studio and let me do me. Let me do what everybody fell in love with, which is make good quality music for people to listen to - feel good music."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding