Artist of the Week: Iyaz
New artist Iyaz successfully cracked the Top 5 of Billboard Hot 100. The rapper's debut single "Replay" which also serves as the lead single off his forthcoming studio album "My Life" peaked at No.2 on the chart since being released in July 2009.
Following its success across U.S., Iyaz then released the single in the United Kingdom on January 4 this year. The J.R. Rotem-produced track debuted at the top spot of the country's Singles chart, scanning more than 106,000 copies in its first week on sale. It stayed at No. 1 in the second week.
Recalling the day he recorded the chart-busting single, Iyaz said, "Replay I did in the dark, J.R. said don't come out until you finish." The unique recording session resulted in a catchy tune which managed to sit among Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance", Ke$ha's "Tik Tok", Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" and "Glee" anthem "Don't Stop Believin' " on the charts.
With such impressive chart performances, it is understandable then if Iyaz wants more, such as ruling Billboard Hot 200 and claiming a worldwide fame when his album comes out this Spring. However, the rapper said otherwise when asked what he wants to achieve in the music industry.
"I don't want the fame," he told Neon Limelight in a phone interview. "Just put me in the studio and let me do me. Let me do what everybody fell in love with, which is make good quality music for people to listen to - feel good music."
- Get New Details of Kristen Stewart and Alicia Cargile's Upcoming Nuptials
- Britney Spears on Performing at 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show: 'I Would' Do That Again!
- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Updates Fans About Her School Life
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'