Artist of the Week: Iyaz
New artist Iyaz successfully cracked the Top 5 of Billboard Hot 100. The rapper's debut single "Replay" which also serves as the lead single off his forthcoming studio album "My Life" peaked at No.2 on the chart since being released in July 2009.
Following its success across U.S., Iyaz then released the single in the United Kingdom on January 4 this year. The J.R. Rotem-produced track debuted at the top spot of the country's Singles chart, scanning more than 106,000 copies in its first week on sale. It stayed at No. 1 in the second week.
Recalling the day he recorded the chart-busting single, Iyaz said, "Replay I did in the dark, J.R. said don't come out until you finish." The unique recording session resulted in a catchy tune which managed to sit among Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance", Ke$ha's "Tik Tok", Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" and "Glee" anthem "Don't Stop Believin' " on the charts.
With such impressive chart performances, it is understandable then if Iyaz wants more, such as ruling Billboard Hot 200 and claiming a worldwide fame when his album comes out this Spring. However, the rapper said otherwise when asked what he wants to achieve in the music industry.
"I don't want the fame," he told Neon Limelight in a phone interview. "Just put me in the studio and let me do me. Let me do what everybody fell in love with, which is make good quality music for people to listen to - feel good music."
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Finale Title Revealed - Here's How It May Hint at the Plot
- 'Justice League 2' Pushed Back to Make Room for Ben Affleck's 'Batman'
- Alexa PenaVega Gives Birth to First Child With Husband Carlos
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title