Sony Scraps 'Spider-Man 4', to Make Reboot Without Tobey Maguire
Following problems on the script of "Spider-Man 4", Sony Pictures has scrapped the upcoming project. The studio is now planning to make a reboot of its "Spider-Man" film franchise, which will follow Spider-Man's alter ego Peter Parker during his high school age.
Since the story will see a younger Peter than the one appeared in the last film "Spider-Man 3", Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will not be included in the cast of the upcoming project. Sam Raimi will not also direct the "Spider-Man" reboot, which will be produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin.
"We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots," Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment said on Monday, January 11. The studio additionally announced that the movie is slated to be released in summer 2012.
"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me," Raimi said in a statement. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."
Previously, Sony Pictures had postponed the production of "Spider-Man 4" due to unfinished script. The studio and Sam Raimi reportedly could not agree upon a villain.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce