Blake Lively Is 'Green Lantern' Leading Lady
Just ten weeks before it kicks off principal photography, "Green Lantern" found its leading lady. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Pictures has tapped Blake Lively to star opposite Ryan Reynolds, who is set to play the titular character in the upcoming superhero film.
The "Gossip Girl" actress will play the role of Carol Ferris, a character who runs her father's aerospace company and hires cocky test pilot Hal Jordan, who later becomes intergalactic policeman Green Lantern. In the comics, Carol and Hal have a young romance which becomes complicated due to Hal's other identity and Carol's inheritance of the company from her father.
Interestingly, Lively's role called for a slightly older actress but she was chosen because the studio and filmmakers were impressed with her audition and her work in upcoming movie "The Town", which stars Ben Affleck. Moreover, the 22-year-old reportedly won the part over four other contenders, Jennifer Garner, Keri Russell, Eva Green and Diane Kruger.
The studio will next start the casting process for the roles of Dr. Hector Hammond, one of the key villains, and the alien known as Sinestro. Martin Campbell will serve behind the lens when this action film, which is scheduled for a June 17, 2011 release date in the U.S., starts shooting in Louisiana in March.
More Green Lantern News
- 'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy Shares Photo of 'Cult' Member. Is It Evan Peters?
- Secretly Married? Liam Payne Calls Cheryl His 'Wife' in New Interview
- Comic-Con: 'Ready Player One' First Footage Introduces Stepen Spielberg's VR Dystopia
- 'Psychopath' Sulli Gets Blasted for Biting Her Cat
- New Romance? Shirtless Justin Bieber Enjoys Romantic Hike With This Model
- Comic-Con: 'Westworld' Season 2 Trailer Is Violence Galore
- Pics: Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless, Parades Impressive Bum in Thong Bikini
- Song Joong Ki Reveals He Told Song Hye Kyo to Announce Their Wedding Due to Groundless Rumors