'Avatar' Remains Atop on Box Office, Hits One Billion Mark
At the beginning of 2010, "Avatar" has ruled the North American Box Office for the third straight weekend. The James Cameron's big budget film raked in $68.5 million, for a total of $352.1 million after being released in U.S. theaters 17 days ago.
Internationally, the sci-fi movie has taken in $670.2 million which brought its worldwide total to $1.02 billion. The amount has surpassed the worldwide gross for "The Dark Knight" and made "Avatar" the fourth-highest grossing movie worldwide ever, behind "Titanic" ($1.84 billion), "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King" ($1.12 billion) and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" ($1.07 billion)."
Meanwhile, highly-anticipated movie "Sherlock Holmes" still sat on the second spot with $36.6 million haul on its second weekend. The movie has dropped 41.2% in ticket sales and earned $138.7 million domestically since its debut on last Christmas. Following the Robert Downey Jr.-starring film was "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" which raked in an additional $35.2 million.
The fourth and fifth places went to "It's Complicated" and "The Blind Side" respectively. The Alec Baldwin's comedy took in an approximately $18.8 million haul for a total of $59.2 million, while the Sandra Bullock's drama grossed an additional $11.9 million on its seventh weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 1-3:
- "Avatar" - $68.5 million
- "Sherlock Holmes" - $36.6 million
- "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" - $35.2 million
- "It's Complicated" - $18.8 million
- "The Blind Side" - $11.9 million
- "Up in the Air" - $10.7 million
- "The Princess and the Frog" - $9.8 million
- "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" - $4.9 million
- "Invictus" - $3.91 million
- "Nine" - $3.9 million
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date
- Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck '100 Percent Still Separated' Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Miranda Lambert's Rep Shoots Down Pregnancy Rumors
- Watch Star-Studded Performance of 'What the World Needs Now Is Love' at DNC
- 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Brings Out the Poetic World
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Accuses Her Husband of Cheating While Tearfully Talking About Divorce
- Beyonce Is Reported to Perform at 2016 MTV VMAs
- George and Amal Clooney Are Reportedly Expecting First Child