Sam Worthington in Competition With Ryan Reynolds for 'Flash Gordon'
After playing a wounded marine in "Avatar", Sam Worthington could land his first superhero role. According to circulating rumor, the 33-year-old is in competition with Ryan Reynolds to play the titular character in "Flash Gordon", a remake of 1980 sci-fi film of the same title.
"Right now it's between Sam, Ryan Reynolds and one or two others for the lead role should the project actually get off the ground," a Hollywood insider told Hollyscoop. The insider additionally dished, "If he [Sam] gets the role it would be quite a big deal as Flash is an all-American hero."
Before playing Jake Sully in James Cameron's "Avatar", Sam Worthington has appeared in "Terminator Salvation". He will be next seen starring as Perseus in 2010 action fantasy "Clash of the Titans", which will be released in the U.S. on March 26, 2010.
As for Ryan Reynolds, the actor is famous for his roles in comedy films such as "Waiting...", "Definitely, Maybe", and "The Proposal". The Canada-born actor is set to star as the major characters in superhero films "Green Lantern" and "Deadpool".
Based on the classic strip originally drawn by Alex Raymond, "Flash Gordon" will center its story on an athlete who is, together with his lover, kidnapped and transported to the planet of Mongo by a mad scientist. In the strange planet, the three encounter adventures as well as dangerous situation as they try to save Earth from destruction done by the planet's evil ruler. Columbia Pictures has hired Breck Eisner to direct this action film.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support