'New Moon' Rises on Box Office, Breaks Other Records
After breaking midnight record in its first day screening, "The Twilight Saga's New Moon" has topped the North American box office chart. This weekend, the "Twilight" sequel grossed $142.8 million domestically, making it the third biggest opening weekend of all time. Internationally, the film earned an approximately $118.1 million from 25 foreign markets.
Still, the amount raked by the second installment of the vampire drama movies from local theaters in the opening weekend was lower than the $158 million bowed by "The Dark Knight" and the $151 million summoned by 2007 "Spider-Man 3". Meanwhile, the third place initially belonged to "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" with $136 million.
Though so, "New Moon" has surpassed the previous November opening record for "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" which collected $101.4 million in its debut weekend. Moreover, it gathered almost exactly twice the opening weekend gross of the first film, "Twilight", which earned only $69.6 million in its first weekend almost a year ago.
Also blasting on this weekend box office was "The Blind Side", a drama movie starring Sandra Bullock, with $34.1 million intake. Last week champion "2012 (2009)", meanwhile, only managed a second-place finish with $26.4 million haul.
Another newcomer, "Planet 51", earned fourth place with $12.3 million. Following the animated movie was "A Christmas Carol (2009)". The Jim Carrey's holiday movie took in $12.3 million in its third week.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for November 20-22:
- "The Twilight Saga's New Moon" - $ 142.8 million
- "The Blind Side" - $ 34.1 million
- "2012 (2009)" - $ 26.4 million
- "Planet 51" - $ 12.3 million
- "A Christmas Carol (2009)" - $12.3 million
- "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" - $10.9 million
- "The Men Who Stare at Goats" - $2.8 million
- "Couples Retreat" - $1.9 million
- "The Fourth Kind" - $1.7 million
- "This Is It" - $1.6 million
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Was 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!
- Vitalii Sediuk Calls His Attempt to Kiss Kim Kardashian's Butt a Protest Against 'Butt Implants'
- Gavin Rossdale Follows Gwen Stefani's Lead, Joins 'The Voice UK' as New Judge