'Independence Day' Sequel Possibly Made With Will Smith Returning
It's been more than a decade since "Independence Day" was released, and its director Roland Emmerich has exclusively told MTV Movies Blog that a sequel will possibly be made. Greater than that, he has also hinted his intention to approach the film's leading actor Will Smith to make a comeback.
"What we want to do in the next - it's actually two movies - we want to do a bigger arc," enthused Roland. " 'Independence Day' was always like the king who leads his troops into battle against an evil force, and that stays like that."
The plan is just an idea and there has been no script written yet, but Roland says he has had in mind of what the sequel will be titled. " 'ID4-ever', Part I and II maybe?" he suggested. "The idea is just to continue the story and actually I don't know how many years ago this was - twelve, thirteen, fourteen years ago - and just continue where it ended."
And since plans for a sequel are still in very early stage, Roland shares no further detail about the not-yet-come-to-fruition films, telling MTV Movies Blog, "one day we will do it and that the story will stay firmly on the planet. It's always about earth and that earth gets invaded."
"Independence Day" is a science fiction film released in 1996 which tells about a hostile alien invasion of Earth. It focuses on a disparate group of individuals and families as they coincidentally converge in the Nevada desert and, along with the rest of the human population, participate in a last-chance retaliation on July 4. Roland Emmerich served as the director in addition to co-writing the script alongside producer Dean Devlin.
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?
- Johnny Depp Jokes About Assassinating Donald Trump: 'Maybe It's Time'
- Khloe Kardashian Sizzling in Completely Sheer Bodysuit. Tempting Tristan Thompson?
- Chance the Rapper Apologizes to Dr. Dre for Degrading His Label
- Brad Pitt Wishes to Reconcile With Angelina Jolie Despite Messy Split
- Chris Brown Reveals He Tried to Have a Baby With Karrueche Tran
- 'Aquaman' Officially Casts Michael Beach in Potentially Significant Role