2009 CMA Awards: Taylor Swift Receives Album of the Year
The winners for the 43rd Annual Country Music Association Awards which is taking place at the Sommet Center in Nashville on November 11 keep pouring in. Hosted by Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley, it has revealed Lady Antebellum and Jamey Johnson as early winners at the event and added Darius Rucker as another victorious musician at the gala.
Darius who has performed a song called "Alright" once again came to the stage of Sommet Center to take the honor as Best New Artist. Naomi Judd and her bandmate from The Judds, Wynonna Judd, were given the duty to announce the winner. "It was 25 years ago tonight that we attended our first awards show, and to our surprise, it was our first award," Wynonna said. Naomi then invited Darius to claim his prize. "Well, come on down Darius Rucker," she said.
"Wow, what a year!" Darius stated. He thanked his wife and three children for their support and understanding while he's on the road showcasing his music. "Thank ya'll for accepting me," he said.
The show was moving on and Taylor Swift was handed Album of the Year prize by presenters Robin Roberts and Randy Houser. She won over Brad, Keith Urban, Sugarland and Jamey, thanking her producer who's "believed" in her since she was 14. "Thank you for saying that you like my diary," she added.
Next winner was Sugarland. The country music act were announced by Julianne Hough and Dale Earnhardt Jr. as the recipient for Vocal Duo of the Year, winning the award for third year in a row. Jennifer Nettles thanked fellow nominee Brooks & Dunn.
Aside from announcing its winners, the 2009 CMA Awards also saw country musicians making fun of Kanye West for interupting Taylor Swift's Best Female Video acceptance speech at 2009 MTV VMAs. When opening the event, Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley made a duet to lines "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Kanye / Let 'em pic guitars and drive them old trucks / 'cause cowboys have manners, they don't interrupt."
Later that night, Jimmy Dickens interrupted Brad when he talked about his "Welcome to the Future" video by saying that Taylor has the best video ever.
More Taylor Swift News
- Prince's Rep Addresses Jay-Z's Rumored $40 Million Offer for His Unreleased Music
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunner Bryan Fuller Departs the TV Series
- Kevin Hart Eyed to Play Santa Clause in Disney's 'Dashing Through the Snow'
- Kesha Previews 4 New Songs, Hopes to Release New Album 'Early Next Year'
- Are They Engaged? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Flaunt Matching Rings on Instagram
- Michael Phelps Secretly Weds Nicole Johnson
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video