T.I. Wins 2009 BET Hip-Hop Awards From Prison
T.I. didn't attend this year's BET Hip-Hop Awards on October 10 because he is currently serving behind the bars. However, this rapper managed to take home two kudos at the annual event. He won best Hip-Hop Collaboration for his duet with Rihanna in single "Live Your Life" and was honored with Album of the Year for his latest studio installment "Paper Trail".
Since T.I. was absent, his fiancee Tameka Cottle came onto the stage to accept the two trophies on his behalf. She also read a letter written by the rapper. "Although I'm not there with you all, I'm there in spirit," Tameka read. "My road to redemption is almost over. ... Thanks for the support."
Another winner at the awards was Jay-Z. He got MVP of the year, dedicating it to fellow Hip-Hop performers Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and Mr. Magic. "Brooklyn, we did it again," so he concluded his acceptance speech.
In addition, Drake and Ice Cube also brought home a prize each. Drake was named Rookie of the Year, while Ice Cube got I Am Hip-Hop icon award. "When you get recognized by your peers for a life of work, you got to be humbled," Ice Cube said when collecting his award. "I'm honored by this. I have 20 more years of work left in me. I hope (BET) is ready to give out two of these awards."
As for DJ of the Year, the title was given to DJ AM. Busta Rhymes accepted the honor on behalf of the late celebrity disc jokey, stating "I'm honored to accept this."
2009 BET Hip-Hop Awards was held at Atlanta Civic Center and will be televised on October 27. Performers at the gala ceremony included Young Jeezy, Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, OJ Da Juiceman, KRS-One, Wale, Joe Budden and Nicki Minaj.
As for rap mogul Kanye West, he was a no-show. There hasn't been any explanation regarding his absence though.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake