'Pirates of the Carribean 4' Indeed Based on Tim Powers' Novel
Early speculation that pirate-themed novel "On Stranger Tides" will be the basis of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" apparently hit the jackpot. Author Tim Powers confirmed that Disney has opted the rights to his book when talking to Geoff Boucher of Los Angeles Times on Monday, October 5.
"I was still - as far as I understood - not free to talk about it," the two-time winner of the World Fantasy Award said at first. He then continued, "Then about a week ago my agent wrote and said, 'You're now able to say that in fact Disney did option the book.' That happened a while ago, it'll be three years in April."
Talking about what may be used from his book for the fourth film, the 57-year-old said, "I've watched all the movies several times, of course, and I think the clear thing they would use is the trip to the Fountain of Youth." He added, "My main character doesn't overlap with Jack Sparrow at all [in personality or circumstance]; they're totally different characters."
"I suppose they might overlap the Geoffrey Rush character Barbossa and Blackbeard," Powers further explained. "The only thing I feel certain they will hold on to is the Fountain of Youth since they telegraphed that at the end of the last movie."
Words that "Pirates of the Carribean 4" may be based on Tim Powers' book arose when Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook uncovered the title for the fourth film during Disney's D23 fan convention. Due to the similarity of the title many wondered whether the movie will use parts of the novel or just rip off the book's title.
Eying a summer 2011 release, "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" will follow Jack Sparrow in his quest to find the Fountain of Youth. He will team up with Captain Barbossa in order to "defeat some supernatural terror". Director Gore Verbinski, the helmer of the first three "Pirates" movie, won't take on the directing job this time around.
- People's Choice Awards 2017: Ellen DeGeneres Breaks Record With 20th Win
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel Are Trying for Baby No. 2
- Khloe Kardashian Is 'Thrilled' She's Expecting First Child With Tristan Thompson
- Sony's Animated 'Spider-Man' Movie Will Feature Miles Morales as the Lead
- People's Choice Awards 2017: J.Lo, Blake Lively, Kristen Bell Stun on Red Carpet
- Grammy Awards 2017: John Legend, Metallica Among First Performers Announced
- Is Charlize Theron's Adopted Son Becoming a Girl? He Wears Box Braids and Pink Outfit
- Ciara and Ex-Fiance Future Reach Custody Agreement Over Son Future Jr.