Steven Soderbergh to Helm 'Knockout', Gina Carano to Star
It has now been confirmed that Steven Soderbergh's new project would be Relativity Media's "Knockout". The studio issued a press release, confirming also that martial arts fighter Gina Carano is indeed in talks to join the cast. In an arrangement very unique to the industry, Soderbergh will forgo his upfront salary and retain ownership of the film, along with Relativity.
"We couldn't be more thrilled to be working with a world-class filmmaker like Steven on this project, which is clearly in his sweet spot," said Ryan Kavanaugh, CEO of Relativity. "Steven's deal is structured to help control the budget and align the filmmaker and studio to play for the upside. As Steven is sure to make a movie that delivers, we all succeed. More and more filmmakers understand this model, which perfectly pairs our mutual interest. This is the future."
Producing duty will be tackled by Soderbergh's partner Gregory Jacobs and Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh. In the screenplay department there is Lem Dobbs who previously collaborated with Soderbergh in 1999's "The Limey".
Telling the story of a female spy in the vein of "The Bourne Identity", "Knockout" will begin turning its production wheel in February 2010. "Audiences have spoken- they want cool, fresh, action-packed content, and this film hits that target," Tucker Tooley, Relativity Media's President of Production, said about the movie.
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week