Steven Soderbergh to Helm 'Knockout', Gina Carano to Star
It has now been confirmed that Steven Soderbergh's new project would be Relativity Media's "Knockout". The studio issued a press release, confirming also that martial arts fighter Gina Carano is indeed in talks to join the cast. In an arrangement very unique to the industry, Soderbergh will forgo his upfront salary and retain ownership of the film, along with Relativity.
"We couldn't be more thrilled to be working with a world-class filmmaker like Steven on this project, which is clearly in his sweet spot," said Ryan Kavanaugh, CEO of Relativity. "Steven's deal is structured to help control the budget and align the filmmaker and studio to play for the upside. As Steven is sure to make a movie that delivers, we all succeed. More and more filmmakers understand this model, which perfectly pairs our mutual interest. This is the future."
Producing duty will be tackled by Soderbergh's partner Gregory Jacobs and Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh. In the screenplay department there is Lem Dobbs who previously collaborated with Soderbergh in 1999's "The Limey".
Telling the story of a female spy in the vein of "The Bourne Identity", "Knockout" will begin turning its production wheel in February 2010. "Audiences have spoken- they want cool, fresh, action-packed content, and this film hits that target," Tucker Tooley, Relativity Media's President of Production, said about the movie.
- 'Power Rangers' First Full Trailer Offers First Official Look at Zordon and Megazord
- Amazon Is Adapting Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens' Into a Limited Series
- Caitlyn Jenner's Rep Clears Up Rumors of Inaugural Dance With Donald Trump
- Nancy Sinatra Slams Donald Trump for Using Her Father's Song at His Inauguration Ball
- Ariana Grande Shares Sweet Birthday Message for 'Soulmate' Mac Miller
- Bella Thorne Gets Flirty With Zedd on Twitter and His Fans Absolutely Hate It
- Fetty Wap and Monty Flaunt Million-Dollar Bling in New Video for 'S**t I Like'
- Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Reportedly Fighting Over Whether to Have Baby No. 3